Viewing: What » Ethos.
Spirit & culture.
More 'Oregon hippy commune' than Wall Street.
Fully aware of the risk of seemingly being a tad snooty… I'm unapologetic about my work being oriented toward those who're intelligent, cultured, discerning and value integrity.
'Money, fun, and a sense of honor…' I consider profit to be a natural consequence of doing good things well.
For me, the result isn't the only consideration… 'how we get there' is important.
Yes, of course money matters, but it's not the whole story.
I've a simple and open approach, based firmly on a belief that…
'There are two distinct types of commercial enterprise… those which elicit a smile and those which don't. Which would you rather be?'
Business doesn't have to be as impersonal, dull, inauthentic and unethical as it often is.
Great enterprise is built upon integrity, intelligence and energy.
And of course, you have to have fun doing what you're doing… in a relatively natural and satisfying way that respects others and doesn't require working crushing hours just to add zeros to a bank balance.
In choosing to understate, I don't 'sell' or do chest-besting show-of-strength stuff… for me business isn't a process of persuasion, it's authentically reaching those with whom there's natural affinity.
So, with all of this in mind…
Emphatically rejecting unspirited and ethically-compromised enterprise which simply exploits without putting anything back… I like to be friendly, collaborate rather than compete, and charge less than I could.
Of course, this may be a tad too utopian.
- As an aid toward being more effective and enjoying a better work:life balance… in under- rather than over-working, I've absolutely no interest in 'spinning nine plates and eyeing-up a tenth'.
- Favouring 'relaxed and laid-back' rather than buttoned-down uptight, I'm always 'joggers and t-shirt/hoody' (literally) casual (I no longer even own a shirt/tie or similar formal clothing).
- No fan of 'travel & meetings', for many years (long before remote-working became in vogue) I've provided my services remotely.
For insight and perspective…
[ SHOW MORE/HIDE ▼ ]
- This, not that. 'How' and 'why' matter.
- Authenticity. Respect and honesty.
- Business? Or 'enterprise'…?
- 'They say, we say.' Different strokes...
- Rush? Things are better without an imposed timeframe.
- Gonzo. A little something for the non-conformist in us all.
- It stinks. The essence of marketing?
- Presentation... 'I am, I said...'
[ HIDE THIS ╎ ]